The Christian Brothers and Primary Education in Athy 1861–1985
30th July 1860
The Most Rev. Dr. Cullen, Archbishop of Dublin, invited the Irish Christian Brothers to Athy. His grace purchased a house and lands at St. John’s, Athy, and a two-roomed school was erected on the site. The house and school were furnished. The total cost of the project was £1,000.
8th August 1861
Brother S. Flanagan (Director), Brother L. Holland and Brother P. Sheehy took up residence and were the first members of the community of Christian Brothers in Athy.
19th August 1861
One hundred and twenty (120) boys presented themselves for admission to the school. The attendance continued to increase daily.
Rev. Dr. Walsh, Archbishop of Dublin, administered Confirmation in Athy. During his sermon he praised the Brothers for the sacrifices they had made in refusing State aid and that because of this the teaching of Religion in the school could continue.
The Centenary of the School was held.
The present Primary School was started. Rev. Fr. V. Steen, P.P. cut the first sod.
The new Extension was opened. The cost of the new school was £54,000.
Weekend of 23rd September 1984
The people of Athy came together to pay tribute to the Christian Brothers who would soon be leaving the town after 133 years of service as educators to successive generations of boys from the area.
Became the first lay Principal of the ‘Christian Brothers’ primary school. The school was re-named St. Patrick’s School and has since become known as Scoil Phádraig Naofa.
1st December 2008
All 4th, 5th and 6th class pupils (167 boys) were relocated to a new 8 classroom school building in Tomard on the Monasterevin road outside Athy. All 2nd and 3rd class pupils will remain in St. John’s Lane until a new school building is provided by the D.E.S. to accommodate all pupils. The expected completion date of this new 24 classroom building is June 2011.